Move-out FAQs

  • Where do I need to drop off my key?

    You will need to drop off all keys, garage door opener, pool key, and anything else that was provided to you at the time of move in to our office. Our office is located at 1102 E. Sonterra Blvd. #106 San Antonio, TX 78258.
  • When do I need to turn in my keys?

    Keys must be turned in no later than the day your lease contract expires. If we do not receive keys in the office by that date you will be charged for all additional days until keys are turned into the office. We do not consider that the property has been surrendered until keys are received.
  • What if I need a few more days to move out of the property?

    We understand that sometime moving doesn’t go as planned. If you are going to need a few more days to vacate you must contact our office to discuss the situation with management. In some cases we will be able to approve additional days. If management if able to give approval a prorated rent must be paid immediately. If management has approved an application and there is a resident lined up to move into the property we may not be able to approve your request. You will have to make arrangement to vacate the property by the date your lease expires. It is best for you to let us know if you are going to need additional time to vacate immediately.
  • What is considered a proper notice?

    A proper notice means you have provided a written letter with a signature along with the following information.

    • Property address
    • Names of the residents on the lease
    • Date you intend to surrender the property
    You can find an “Intent to Vacate” form under resident downloads that you can use to issue your notice to vacate. Notice to vacate must be submitted by email or hand delivered to the office.
  • What if I want to move out before my lease is up?

    Your leases require you to pay for the full term of the lease even if you leave early. The following is an exception to leaving before the lease is up.

    • Military – resident may terminate this lease by delivering to Landlord a written notice of termination and a copy of an appropriate government document providing evidence of :
      • Military orders for a permanent change of station (PCS)
      • Entrance into military service
      • Military order to deploy with a military unit for not less than 90 days.
    • Family Violence – resident must provide Landlord with a copy of a court order described under 92.016, property code protecting resident or an occupant from family violence committed by a coresident or occupant of the property. 92.016, property code governs the rights and obligations of the parties under this paragraph. If the family violence is committed by someone other than a coresident or co-occupant of the property, resident must give written notice of termination 30 days prior to the effective date of the notice.
    • Sex Offenses or Stalking: resident may have special statutory rights to terminate this lease in certain situations involving certain sexual offenses or stalking, if the resident provides landlord with the documentation required by 92.0161, property code.
    If you do not qualify under these exception then expect to pay the full term of your lease and all other obligations including utilities, lawn care, re-letting frees, other maintenance expenses or any other obligations in you lease. All outstanding balances are reported to collections and you may be liable for all expenses related to collection any past due debts.
  • How can I insure that I will get me security deposit back?

    We would like for you to receive 100% of your security deposit back. Receiving your deposit back means that when you surrender the property, that the property is returned back to the condition you received it in, minus any normal wear and tear, and that the property for the next resident with as little work as possible.
  • Why wouldn’t I get my security deposit back?

    A resident should not expect a refund of security deposit if the landlord has to pay to have someone do something you were required to do. A resident must reimburse the landlord for expenses that are not related to “normal wear and tear”. The following is a list of the most common deduction from a security deposit:

    • Lawn Care – the resident is responsible for more than cutting the lawn and edging. You must treat the yard with fertilizer, weed killer, maintain flower beds and maintain an adequate level of mulch. If the yard is not maintained properly then any expenses to fix the neglect can be charged back to the resident.
    • Cleaning – your lease contract requires you to keep the house clean and sanitary at all times. If the house is not left clean then the landlord will hire someone to finish the cleaning and charge will be deducted from the residents security deposit.
    • Touch up paint – resident try to touch up spots and usually fail. We ask that residents do not try to attempt to touch up the walls. If the wrong color is used or the spots are not touched up correctly then the cost to repair can be more than if you just left it alone.
    • Missing garage door/gate remotes
    • Missing, burnt out or mismatching light bulbs
    • Missing batteries in smoke detectors
    Please refer to your lease contract for all the responsibilities of a resident and additional detail of resident charges.
  • When is my deposit returned to me?

    According to your residential lease contract, Peace of Mind has 30 days to return your security deposit from the day we receive keys and a forwarding address is provided. All deposits will be mailed to the forwarding address provided. Please don’t expect your refund before the 30 days.
  • Does the landlord have an incentive to keep my deposit?

    It is generally illegal for a landlord to keep your deposit if you leave with rent paid in full, you have provided proper notice at the end of your lease, and you have provided a forwarding address. The landlord can only use your deposit to cover expenses due to property damage.
  • Does Peace of Mind have an incentive to keep my deposit?

    Peace of Mind does not keep any of your deposit. Your lease is between you and your landlord and any deductions are to reimburse your landlord. The deposit is held in a trust account so that it’s available to be repaid to you or to reimburse the landlord for unfulfilled lease obligations after you leave the property.
  • How are damages determined?

    A physical assessment is conducted before a resident moves into a property that provides us with about 200 pictures and a full report of the property. Once the resident vacates the same assessment is conducted and the results are compared to determine the condition of the property before and after a resident. We will also review the notes you have provided us your inventory condition form.
  • How do I schedule the move out survey?

    We will conduct a final move-out assessment report once the property has been surrendered and keys have been turned into the Peace of Mind office. Once the assessment is complete management will compare the move-in assessment with the move-out assessment along with the inventory condition form that was returned at move-in to determine if there will be any charges against your security deposit.
  • What if I get charged for something I shouldn’t have been charged for?

    Unfortunately errors can occur. We make every effort to be 100% correct when accounting for the security deposit. If you find an error in your deposit accounting please contact us. It normally takes about 10 working days to complete the review and we may need to contact you with additional questions while we are looking into your dispute.
  • Can you provide me more detailed instructions on how to get as much of my deposit back?

    Please review your lease contract and move-out check list for a complete list of everything you may be responsible for. Both of these forms can be found on our website at under resident downloads.